What are eyelash extensions?
Eyelash extensions are individual, synthetic lashes that are applied one by one to your natural eyelashes. Lash extensions can come in many different lengths, thickness and curls making it a convenient and practical way to enhance the natural beauty that My Lash Girl believes everyone possesses! After application, your eyes will be instantly noticeable with a darker and fuller lash line. Minimizing the daily hassle of mascara and even the application of makeup from little to none!
My Lash Girl is double certified by some of the best trainers in the Lash Industry and carries only the highest quality of products and adhesives (sensitive adhesives also available) to ensure best quality results!
*These are NOT to be confused with strip lashes, flares or clusters which should only be used for single use only.
Should I be careful who applies the eyelash extensions and should they be trained?
Absolutely, we cannot stress the importance of choosing an Eyelash Extension Stylist who has been Certified by a qualified and experienced Eyelash Instructor. There are many "Eyelash Extension Stylist" who are claiming to be professionally trained but have been self taught and using poor quality products purchased from questionable resources. My Lash Girl receives New Clients all the time who have had a bad experience by an "Eyelash Extension Stylist" who is NOT certified. Please do your research thoroughly and ask as many questions as possible!
How long do they last?
With the proper love and care, up to 6 weeks with refills every 2-4 weeks. Remember this is a semi-permanent beauty procedure. A real lash’s life cycle is around 25-28 days and as yours grow and fall out, so will the synthetic ones that are attached. If your hair and nails grow quickly then that may indicate that your lashes also are growing, shedding and renewing themselves quickly so you may find that your lashes will not last as long as someone whose hair grows at a slower rate. Your lifestyle and hair cycle will also play a factor on how long your lash extensions will last. For example, a person with lash extensions who work in the food industry where there is more heat, steam and oil may not last as well as a person who works in a well ventilated and air conditioned office. Or an individual who sheds hair more than the average due to supplements they are taking. Eyelash extensions will not last for three months, if your lash stylist tells you this then this is false advertising by salons and inexperienced people. There is a major difference in Eyelash Extensions, Eyelash Falsies, Eyelash Clusters, Eyelash Flares and etc.
We naturally have three stages of hair growth: Anagen, Catagen and Telogen.
The Anagen is the active growth phase, in this particular phase the hair growth is taking place.
Catagen is the transitioning phase, in this phase the hair growth has come to a stop.
Last but not least is the Telogen phase, this is the final resting phase for the lash. When completed the hair naturally sheds and the bulb returns to the Anagen phase to start the cycle again.
We shed approximately 2-6 lashes per day, if you notice a few lash extensions falling off please do not worry as this is normal. Your extensions will either come off with your natural lash as it's time to shed or by itself due to the glue losing its hold. Because our natural eyelashes fall out and grow in different growth cycles like the hair on our head, it is recommended to get a refill every 2-3 weeks. This ensures your lashes always looking full, fresh and beautiful! Keeping that dark and dense lash line!
Will Extensions harm my natural lashes?
There are some misconceptions about this, however the short answer to this question is no. With the proper knowledge, application and use of quality products My Lash Girl upholds- there will be no damage to your real lashes. At My Lash Girl, our top priority is to ensure the safety of your own natural lashes. We examine each clients natural lash carefully to match the most safe and healthy extension formula to be used in thickness, length and curl. This prevents any stress to your natural lash and follicle. Along with enhancing every clients eye shape or desired look. We use top of the market adhesives that ensures safety, longevity and strength of the lash extensions.
Can I still wear eye makeup?
Of course you can! Eyeliner and eyeshadow may be worn as usual but remember to remove all make up from around the eyes with an OIL-FREE remover so it does not break down the glue. Followed with a good lash bath with your foam wash to ensure squeaky clean lashes! If you wear eyeliner, we recommend you use a water based product only. We highly recommend that you do NOT use mascara with your eyelash extensions as it may cause damage to your extensions. To clean your lash line, we advise to go in a side-to-side and upward movement instead of a downwards motion towards the eyelash extensions. Wiping down towards the lashes will cause a build up of makeup on the lashes and may lessen the life of them as well as tugging them off prematurely.
Can I curl or perm eyelash extensions?
No, do not perm your beautiful new eyelash extensions! You won’t have to anyways as the lash extensions come in a permanent curl shape that won't wash out! Using a clamp eyelash curler is not recommended and will lessen the life of your eyelash extensions and likely damage them. Using a heated curler will distort and burn your extensions off!
What are refills, why do I need them and how often do I need them?
Refills are required when the extension has shed (due to the natural eyelash cycle and/or the adhesive breaking down) and a new extension is needed to be replaced. Depending on your hair growth cycle, refills are required every 2-3 weeks to maintain a full and beautiful lash line. You must have at least 40% of your lash extensions remaining for the service to be considered a refill. Refill services can be anywhere from 30 minutes to 60 mins depending on whether you are getting a refill or mini-refill in the Classic or Volume lashes.
Are eyelash extensions suitable for everyone?
Anyone can have eyelash extensions as long as there is a natural lash to apply it to. Even suitable for individuals who wear contact lenses and glasses! We have clients from 15 to 75 years young!
Like everything else, there can be side effects. Although it is not common, please understand that everyone's bodies are different and may react differently. If this is a concern, you may request a "patch test" to ensure there will not be an allergic reaction.
Why should I get eyelash extensions?
- It will cut the time of your beauty routine down in the mornings
- No running or streaking mascara
- The good news is that eyelash extensions make you able to flutter your lashes beautifully without mascara
- Lasts up to 6 weeks with proper maintenance every 2-3 weeks
- No operation, no pain - non-invasive procedure
- Safe in showers, at swimming pools, beach and saunas
- Weightless and very natural looking
- Eyelashes will appear longer, fuller and darker
- Your eyes will look bigger, more defined & gorgeous even without make up
- Great for people who wear contact lenses
- Perfect for brides, moms on the run and busy people
- Individuals who can't wear mascara
Lash Extension Preparation Before You Come to Your Appointment
- Remove all eye makeup and clean your lashes with mild, oil-free, water based cleanser with a lint-free cloth. Do not use makeup remover pads as the tiny fibers attach to your lashes and have to be removed before lash application.
- Remove your contact lenses or bring a case with you to remove the lenses prior to eyelash application.
- Limit your intake of caffeine before you come. Caffeine can cause your eyelashes to flutter making application more difficult resulting in fewer lashes applied. Plan on spending 2 to 2.5 hours for your appointment.
- You may bring an iPod if you would like.
- Limit your intake of liquids before your appointment, if you must get up during the appointment, it will lower the amount of lashes that can be applied with in your appointment time frame.
What to Expect During Your Appointment:
- I will apply an eye pad to your lower eyelashes to seclude from your top lashes. You must keep your eyes closed until the completion of your eyelash extension procedure.
- You should not feel any discomfort during the eyelash application as it is very relaxing for most people and you may very well fall asleep.
- When instructed to open your eyes, there may be slight discomfort from the glue fumes although this is unlikely however if you experience this, please let your stylist know and we can reduce it immediately.